Sunday 15 January 2012

Books

My 7yo Lucy is a voracious reader and this week has finished Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and George's Marvellous Medicine. She is now onto James and the Giant Peach. I remember reading Charlie &TCF and J and the GP when I was a child and loving them. I am so glad she is enjoying them so much. It's also inspiring her to write stories of her own in RD style.
Her 3yo brother Tom is just getting into Hairy Mclairy as well as the Julia Donaldson collection - Highway Rat is the current favourite - though he still loves Thomas the Tank Engine.
My dad was a bookseller and had two bookshops - one in Warwick and the other in Leamington Spa. I remember sitting in his shop as a child, in the children's section reading every Saturday morning. It was bliss.
Both my parents were avid readers and encouraged me and my two brothers to read as much as we could.
I guess my parents' combined love of literature, poetry and history has filtered through the genes and is now showing itself in my kids.
The only downside is trying to keep up with what they are reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment