Tuesday 26 November 2013

Seussical, Arts Theatre, Great Newport Street

A SYDENHAM based director is bringing the stories of one of literature's favourite authors to life this Christmas.
Kirk Jameson is working with Greenwich and Deptford based theatre company Sell A Door on a production of Seussical, a musical which fuses the famous Dr Seuss stories of Horton Hears A Who and Horton Hatches The Egg.
The cast of 12, which is currently in rehearsal at Make Believe Arts in Deptford, will be taking the show to the Arts Theatre in the West End.
It follows on from last year's successful run at the Great Newport Street theatre but this year features a new cast and Kirk as director.
"It's a lovely show and was very successful so we are very pleased to bringing it back," says Kirk.
"It's got a great score and I'm a huge fan of Dr Seuss so it was a no brainer for me to want to direct it.
"It's really exciting especially as I am coming into it new. I didn't see it last year as I was doing other things so I'm putting my own stamp on it and coming at it with completely fresh eyes and fresh ideas."
For those who don't know, it features Dr Seuss's Cat in the Hat as the narrator who takes the audience on a journey into the world of Horton the Elephant.
Horton discovers a small world floating by on a speck of dust but this small world, inhabited by the Whos, is floating out of control through the universe.
Caught between a dust speck and his incubating egg, Horton must find a way to look after both.
"It's got lots of levels so will appeal to both adults and children," says Kirk.
"Children in particular have incredible imaginations and are completely able to be challenged on a creative and intellectual level by all the themes in the story."
And the 29-year-old says he is relishing bringing a production to the West End.
"I started working at the Union Theatre in Southwark three years ago and have learned such a lot from Sasha Regan who runs the theatre there.
"She's opened my eyes to the ability of being able to tell stories on stage without big budgets.
"Theatre isn't about expensive sets and how much money can you throw at everything. It's about telling a really good story.
"Working in the fringe sector you are forced to use your imagination and that's been an incredibly good grounding for me.
"But now I'm really excited to be able to spread my wings to the West End - it's an incredible moment for me and I'm so proud of the team because it's going to be a fantastic show."

Seussical is on at the Arts Theatre, Great Newport Street between November 30 and January 5, 2014. Tickets from £22.50. Call the box office on 020 7836 8463.


No comments:

Post a Comment