Tuesday 22 September 2015

INTERVIEW - Luke Goss

BY his own admission when Luke Goss was growing up in South London he could never have dreamt he would one day be making films with the likes of legendary actors Omar Sharif and Steven Seagal.
But in the 16 years since the former pop star left London for the bright lights of Hollywood, that’s exactly what he's done, forging a successful career as a film actor in the process.
The 46-year-old left these shores a few years after his band Bros broke up in 1992 and hasn’t looked back. And he has no regrets.
Despite being hugely successful as the boy band of their day, selling millions of albums around the world and reaching number two in the UK charts with their catchy tune When Will I Be Famous, Luke, his twin brother Matt and friend Craig Logan split after five years, each going their separate ways.
For Luke it meant pursuing a career in acting – something he admits that took him by surprise.
"I had no idea what I would do after Bros as I didn't have a master plan," he tells me.
"However not long after we finished I was asked to do a play at the Queen's Theatre in Hornchurch.
I was so nervous and it was really scary but the cast was so supportive of me. When I stepped out on the stage it felt right and I just fell in love with acting.”
Other roles followed including that of Danny Zuko in the West End smash hit musical Grease before he decided to try his luck in America.
In the years that followed he has starred in a number of Hollywood films - from his critically-acclaimed role in Hellboy II: The Golden Army to his most notable role as villain Jared Nomak in Blade II as well as starring in One Night With The King, Tekken and Interview With A Hitman.
Indeed he is a rare breed in that he has managed to hit the big time in an industry and country which many Brits who go over seeking fame and fortune can’t crack.
He puts his success down to hard work and perseverance.
"Some people, when they come out here, give themselves a deadline and a budget - I never did that," he says.
"I just kept going, working hard, and it paid off. It was two years before I made my first film.
"The South London tenacity hasn't left me and I'm proud of that."
Now upwards of 50 movies later he has just released his latest film AWOL-72.
In it he plays Conrad an AWOL marine, a wanted man in possession of secret government information, pursued by Russian special ops, the LAPD, and a dangerous assassin.
"It’s about a guy in the CIA who has been in the business for a long time," he says. "His wife is pregnant and he wants a different life. However he realises he can't leave the profession without breaking the rules so he has decisions to make.
"He's quite a thoughtful person and introspective, a bit of an anti hero and someone I like to play.
"It was a lot of fun to make so I hope audiences like it."
It turns out that this isn't the only film he's working on and it becomes clear during our chat that he likes to keep busy.
"There is always a lot going on," he laughs. "I'm doing quite a bit of producing at the moment as well as writing, directing and acting.
"I do like action films because it's always so interesting to develop the characters but I've done love stories and sci fi too. I love it all.
"I think it’s important to bring emotion and the heart of the character into it otherwise audiences get turned off.
"I love the process of being that character, digging a little deeper to get to the essence of that person, whether it's bringing out tears, pain or humour – so people can relate to them and with the role of Conrad it's the same."
And he admits he often has to pinch himself when he thinks about all those names he's worked with.
"I was doing a film in India once with Omar Sharif. I had to do a scene where I ride up to my mark and all I could think was 'oh my goodness, it’s Omar fucking Sharif' - I couldn’t think straight!
"I've had loads of moments like that - people like Donald Sutherland, Wesley Snipes and Samuel L Jackson - they've all been incredible people to work with and it's still a thrill.
"It's a long way from Lewisham or beating the crap out of a set of drums," he adds laughing.
Despite making his home in LA he says he’s proud of his roots and speaks fondly of Lewisham where he was born and Camberwell and Peckham where he spent his formative years.
Growing up in South London was fun and was where the band was formed,” he says.
"I remember spending a lot of time in East Street Market, Camberwell Green and going down to the market on a Saturday - there was a real sense of community there.
"I had a great start - it was modest in terms of money but the sense of community was really important.
"It has changed massively since then of course but my memories are a huge part of who I am today."
And while he has fond memories of his time in Bros, sadly for all Bros-ettes there will be no reunion.
"Being in the band was fun but it didn't feed me enough," he says. "I'm not trying to make a point by saying we won't re-form but the truth is I'm happy with my life now and doing what I want to do.
"I was a pop star for five years. It was amazing and I was lucky enough to experience that.
"Some artists are very successful financially and reform to do it for fun, some have families and bills to pay and it’s an opportunity to have little slice of what they loved doing in the first place.
"But for me to go back to it would be for reasons that don't drive me."
Instead he says he wants to continue making films, writing, directing and producing as well as acting in them though he hints at a possible return to the stage one day.
"Film has become my true passion but I'd never say never to a good stage role," he says warmly. "I loved Grease and if there was a limited run of a show in the West End or Broadway that would be something special.
"I'm too old really but I'd love to play Chris in Miss Saigon or perhaps an adaptation of something that’s not been done yet or that hasn't been done for a long time.
"There is a horror movie I made called Inside which would work well as a two-hander. It's very creepy and spooky but would be amazing."
And when I ask what he’s got planned next, he tells me there are three films in the pipeline and ideas buzzing round his brain for future films, scripts, TV shows and other business projects.
"I’ve done 50 films and I think it’s one of those things that the day you lose the joy or wonderment is the day you might as well not do it," he says.
“Until then I won't stop. I’ve been working pretty much non stop for 16 years but I might take a vacation at Christmas. Maybe!”


No comments:

Post a Comment